Chihuahua Dog Facts
Chihuahuas are beloved by the many people that own them and chihuahua dog facts are as interesting as they are varied.
The Chihuahua is a perennially popular dog the world over and reading the following chihuahua dog facts, you will see why.
Interesting Chihuahua Dog Facts
Chihuahuas are believed to be among the oldest dog breeds in the world.
- Confusing history. Although many believe that the chihuahua originated in Mexico and is descended from the Techichi, a dog favored by the Toltec civilization of Mexico, there is no conclusive evidence that this is true. Small dogs very similar to the chihuahua appear in European paintings from the 15th century which has given rise to the theory that Chihuahuas come from the Mediterranean island of Malta.
- Origin of name. One thing that is not in question is that the name of the dog comes from the state of Chihuahua in Mexico.
- Smallest dog in the world. The present day chihuahua is much smaller than its ancestors and is the smallest dog breed in the world.
- Popularity. Chihuahuas have been consistently popular as a breed, especially in America where it was first recognized by the American Kennel Club in 1904.
- Only two types. There are only two recognized types of chihuahua, despite the wide variety of sizes and colors found in this breed. There are smooth-coat and long-coat Chihuahuas. The standards for both are identical except for the coat.
- Teacup chihuahua. Teacup, miniature, toy or pocket chihuahuas are not a separate breed but merely extra small dogs bred as gimmicks to fool people into thinking they are rare.
More Chihuahua Dog Facts
The chihuahua temperament does not suit everybody.
- Loyal and protective. The chihuahua can be a very loyal dog but tends to become overly attached to one person and can show jealousy.
- Lively and adventurous. They are agile and can be strong willed.
- Prefer the company of their own kind. Chihuahuas tend to like Chihuahuas rather than other dogs and can be somewhat clannish.
- Like to burrow. Chihuahuas love dens and small dark places.
- Chihuahuas and children. Many people think that Chihuahuas are not good with children but it depends on how they are brought up. If they are socialized, trained and exercised properly, they can get along well with children.
- Big heart in a small package. A chihuahua may be small but it is still a dog and must be treated as such. If it does not get sufficient exercise it tends to be neurotic and anxious. Exercise is a physical as well as a psychological need. A walk is the dog equivalent of reading the newspaper.
- Snappy. Again, because of its small size, many people assume that the chihuahua is not like other dogs and will baby it, leading to snappish and nasty behavior. A firm but kind hand will keep a chihuahua from becoming spiteful.
The Chihuahua is a small but feisty dog. People love them for their loyalty, character and appearance. One undeniable thing among the many chihuahua dog facts is that they are so cute.